The
TED speaker, Ken Robinson’s speech inspired the audience by keeping them
engaged with short stories and real life experiences that everyone in his
audience could relate to. Ken’s spoke mainly about how school kills creativity.
He built his audiences trust with stories about how all children are born with
tremendous creative talents and how children are not afraid to take chances.
The
quote that stood out the most to me was“ If you’re not prepared to be wrong,
you’ll never come up with anything original”. This statement gave me a
different way to look at things. I am a right-brained person, with highly
creative talent since a child. It is common that creative people are chance
takers and often ones that go against the normal thinking process. The most creative people from his stance are
people that are not afraid to be wrong. He used his professional background as
a college professor to make his facts believable to the audience.
Ken’s
idea of human creativity being sabotaged by the world’s education standards,
put in place in the 1900’s has made me rethink about how creative people are
viewed. Although he told multiple stories, the one that was most relevant was
the story about the dancer whose mother thought that she had, ADHD. Soon after
a careful evaluation the psycho professionals found that she was a highly
functioning dancer who went on to be qualified as a professional creative dancer.
Ken’s story gave me a deeper perspective of the children in today’s society and
how the education structure for upcoming generations must be re evaluated,
because of how much technology has chance our world.
Technology
has surpassed yesterdays belief system that math, science, history and literary
are the only important subject. Moreover, if human creativity is not added as
importance, the world will continue to misrepresent creative as being
unimportant or psychotic. Therefore the world may lose innovative and creative
human minds to mental disorders like ADHD, Artistic Behavior and other psycho
diagnosis that are used to describe individuals’ boredom behaviors.
In
my eyes, Ken Robinson’s is on to a new way to redirect hyperactive behavior
into more usable and explainable states of sanity. It is true, that humans are
different in many ways. We all use energy to express ourselves differently.
Why
is it that one must be mentally ill, because they express themselves in
completely different ways and are challenged by trying to adapt in a classroom
setting? This is my own thought after hearing the story that Ken told about the
dancer. As a child I experience this same type of sigma. I found my
self-drawing pictures during math class and putting plans together to construct
my art during history class. Most often I bummed the test, because I was
thinking of a new color pallet for my project. Ken’s speech made me deeply
understand that my creative skills steamed long before I realized. I was very
creative as a child and my imagination has always been shunned. I was educated
and told that I would never be successful in a creative field. Ken’s perspective
of “School killing creativity” really has given me insight on this subject and
it is true that education need to be re thought out.
http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html
TED2006, filmed Feb 2006/ Jun 2006
No comments:
Post a Comment